By Admin March 25, 2016

The groundhog confirmed recent weather reports that winter won’t be ending anytime soon.  So, as we continue to layer on clothing and fight the elements, let us also remember the safety of our pets.  In the cold weather season, there are many things in and around your house that could be potentially hazardous to your pets. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

Salt

Not only can this be toxic for your pet to ingest, but it can be an irritant if it gets caught in the pads on your pets feet. When purchasing salt, be sure it is labeled as “Pet Safe” or “Environmental Safe”.

Ice and Snow

Many of our pets love to play in the snow, but keep in mind dogs and cats can suffer from frostbite too. Be sure to check in between the pads of your pet’s feet and remove any packed in snow. Frostbite can also affect the tail, tips of the ears, and anywhere the fur is thinned. Ice can also be a hazard, with the potential of cutting your pets feet.

Antifreeze

This chemical is very tasty to animals. Unfortunately it is also very toxic even in small amounts. As little as one teaspoon can be toxic to a cat and less than four teaspoons can be toxic to dogs. Be sure to clean up all spills thoroughly and keep containers out of reach.

Chocolate

Even a few ounces of this sweet is enough to cause illness. Symptoms of chocolate toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors and a rapid irregular heartbeat.

Yeast Dough

Unbaked bread dough can be poisonous to dogs and cats. When ingested, the unbaked bread dough expands in the warm, moist environment of the stomach and can result in a bloated stomach. This can then progress to a twisted stomach (GDV). Signs of bloat or GDV include vomiting, non-productive retching, distended stomach, elevated heart rate, weakness, collapse, and death. When the yeast in the unbaked dough is fermented, it results in the production of carbon dioxide and alcohol. The Alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream and results in alcohol poisoning. Ingestion of alcohol can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure and body temperature. Intoxicated dogs and cats can experience seizures and respiratory failure.

Fire

Many will keep warm this season with a fire in the fire place or wood burning stove. Keep in mind our pet friends may not be aware of the dangers, especially puppies and kittens as this might be their first encounter with fire. Pets run the risk of burning the pads of their feet if they jump onto a wood burning stove or even burning whiskers or tails running past a fire place.

Comments

No comments found.